Like beer and want to impress the folks with some new food and beer pairings?
Look no further as I have gathered some new ideas from my travels around the beer globe to liven up any Holiday party this year. Now some of them might sound or look weird to you, but trust me they are tried and tested and are a sure thing for festive success. There are no rules and why not serve the beers in unusual glassware like champagne flutes, martini or margarita glasses, snifters and/or brandy glasses … And don’t forget our motto: beer – food – beer for a premium beer and food pairing experience.
With this I want to thank all the people who posted or passed on these great ideas and suggestions (google recipes and/or ingredients at various sites I used for this blog):
1. Pilsner-style Lager beer – Smoked salmon-asparagus bundles http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/asparagus-and-smoked-salmon-bundles-recipe.html White or green asparagus spears wrapped in smoked salmon sprinkled with lemon juice and cracked black pepper
2. German-style Hefe-Weissbier – Baked banana bacon parcels http://ifood.tv/bacon/277689-baked-bananas-with-bacon Oven baked sliced baked banana slices wrapped in bacon strips like pigs in a blanket with either maple syrup if you like it sweeter or chili flakes if you like it hotter
3. Flemish Cherry Sour beer – Mini cherry meatballs http://www.yummly.com/recipes/cherry-meatball Mini meatballs served on a stick with a warm cherry coated in cherry juice (from tin or jar) and sour cherry beer glaze (reduce both slowly together to a syrupy consistency with added sugar if needed)
4. Belgian-style Witbier – Hummus crostini’s http://sabra.com/recipes/Hummus-Crostini-Appetizer Fresh hummus served on an olive oil and coarse salt coated crostini with a drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil decorated with fresh cilantro/coriander, olives and feta/goat cheese
5. Brown Ale beer – Blue cheese toast http://www.yummly.com/recipes/blue-cheese-on-toast Creamy blue cheese and beer spread on a sour dough or pumpernickel toasted bread topped with toasted almonds crunch and a splash of apple sauce or jelly
6. Munich Helles-style Lager beer – Sriracha Mac & Cheese pots http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/sriracha-mac-cheese/94572eaa-31b6-4009-ba1c-cf3123d7c5ea Individual little Sriracha hot sauce mac and cheese pots served with spicy cherries (work in hot sauce in the mac and cheese recipe to taste and as hot as you want)
7. British/American-style Pale-Ale beer – Candied Bacon on a stick http://www.oldtownspices.com/t-recipe-candied-bacon-on-a-stick.aspx Oven roasted bacon slices coated in maple syrup – beer marinade (you can add chili if you like it hotter) served in a cocktail stick
8. Triple Blond Ale beer – Sticky toffee mini-cupcakes http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/sticky-toffee-cupcakes-with-chocolate-topping/ Beer and caramel sauce glazed mini sticky toffee cupcakes (mix/ reduce beer with caramel or sticky toffee pudding sauce to syrupy consistency to glaze the cake)
9. Belgian-style Blond Ale beer – Mini-crème brŭllée http://www.atelierdeschefs.co.uk/en/recipe/10707-mini-vanilla-creme-brulee.php Roasted beer and sugar coated mini-crème brŭllée (mix/reduce beer and dark sugar to syrupy consistency before topping of the crème brŭllée to caramelize the sugar)
10.Irish/English-style Stout Ale beer – Salted melted chocolate bruschetta http://www.marthastewart.com/966580/melted-chocolate-fleur-de-sel-bruschetta Melted sea salt chocolate covered toasted and garlic/olive oil- brushed bruschetta bread (you can add chili flakes if you like it hotter)
11.India Pale Ale-style beer – Mini roast beef Yorkshire puddings http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/miniyorkshirepudding_11253 Pre-baked mini Yorkshire puddings stuffed with hot or cold roast beef topped with horseradish cream or English mustard
12. Flemish Sour Red – Soy sauce glazed potted shrimp toast http://www.yummly.co.uk/recipe/Potted-shrimps-with-Melba-toast-393614?columns=4&position=7%2F42 Potted shrimp served on Melba- toast with a drizzle of soy sauce glaze
Have fun with it and send me pictures of your parties when serving these little beer treats.